Torta Rustica Vegetarian
Torta Rustica Vegetarian is seriously the most comfortable of comfort foods. We recommend the garlic rosemary Ricotta with this recipe, or even just going with the plain Ricotta as the sun dried tomatoes and parsley herb this dish up just fine.
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cups cornmeal
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 3⁄4 cup butter, diced
- 2 eggs
- 4T cold water
- 1 1⁄2 cups Crooked Face Creamery herbed pressed ricotta
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- 1⁄4 cup parsley
- Other herbs as desires - oregano and/or fresh basil
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1 package spinach (10 oz)
- Small jar sun dried tomatoes, oil removed
- 2 eggs
- Mix flour, cornmeal, and salt in a bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Beat 2 eggs with 3T cold water, stir into flour mixture until dough holds together. Add more water if needed. Divide dough into 1/3 and 2/3.
- Wrap each with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- In another bowl, combine CFC ricotta, parmesan, 1 egg, parsley, other herbs like basil and/or oregano until well blended.
- Have an 8-9 inch springform pan ready. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the larger portion of dough into a 15 inch diameter circle. Carefully place in ungreased pan; press lightly against bottom and sides. Trim overhanging dough to 1 inch from pan rim.
- Scatter half of the mozzarella over the bottom of the crust. Then spread with CFC ricotta cheese mixture then sprinkle with spinach.
- Press down gently to pack layers. Add sun dried tomatoes in a single layer and top with the remaining mozzarella. Press down again.
- Roll out remaining dough to 8 or 9 inches. Place over filling to cover. Moisten edges, and seal crusts together. Crimp edges. Crust should not extend above pan rim. Beat remaining egg, and brush over crust. Cut several small vents in top of crust for steam to escape.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 1 hour, or wait until crust is deep golden brown and pulls away from sides. Cool in pan on wire rack for 45 minutes. Remove pan sides; cool completely. Cut into 12 wedges.
- Serve at room temperature and enjoy!