Spinach Gnudi with Bolognese
- 8 oz. fresh spinach
- 1, 12 oz. tub Crooked Face Creamery Lemon Fennel Ricotta
- 1 cup finely shredded Pecorino or Parmesan cheese
- 3 eggs
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Semolina flour, for dusting
- 1 tbsp olive oil +1 tbsp
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 28oz. can crushed tomatoes
- ½ tsp. sweetener of choice
- 1 lb. ground meat of your choice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a pot of salted boiling water, add the fresh spinach and blanch for 3 minutes then remove. Run under cold water until cooled and squeeze out excess water and roughly chop. Place in the fridge to cool further, about 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl stir together the Lemon Fennel Ricotta, spinach, pecorino, eggs, and salt and pepper until combined. Add the flour and fold until just combined. Be sure not to overmix or the dumplings will be chewy. Using your hands or a cookie scoop, shape into 1 ½” balls and place on a baking sheet dusted with a thin layer of semolina. Cover with a sprinkle semolina then place in the fridge until ready to cook.
- For the bolognese: In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, warm olive oil then add the onion and cook for 5 minutes or until the onion is slightly translucent, stirring occasionally. Stir in garlic and cook for an additional minute. Then add the Italian seasoning and cook for 1 more minute. Add crushed tomatoes; stir until combined. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add sugar and salt and pepper to taste. Transfer sauce to a bowl, scraping out as much as you can. Return the pan to medium heat and add olive oil. Once hot, add the ground meat of your choice; cook until browned. Return the sauce back to the skillet and stir until combined. Reduce heat and season to taste.
- In a pot of salted boiling water, add the gnudi working in batches. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until they float. Remove using a slotted spoon and serve on a bed of the bolognese sauce with more pecorino and Lemon Fennel Ricotta.