Spinach Ricotta Quiche
This spinach ricotta recipe did recommend 12 ounces of low fat ricotta, but we crossed that off and used our whole milk Ricotta, turning this quiche into something memorable. You can't go wrong with the plain whole milk ricotta if you're using spinach and kale but the roasted red pepper Ricotta is also a fun twist!
- 1 cup sliced onions
- 12 ounces coarsely chopped greens, like spinach or kale
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 12 ounces whole milk Crooked Face Creamery ricotta cheese (about 1 3/4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Pie crust or puff pastry (optional)
- Partially pre-bake the pie crust according to direction, if using a crust.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet or Dutch oven. Add onions and saute until golden, about 4 minutes Add greens; saute until wilted, tender & dry (~ 15 min.) Allow onions/greens mixture to cool.
- Beat eggs and salt to blend in large bowl. Whisk in 3/4 cup Parmesan, then greens. Stir in ricotta, leaving some clumps.
- Pour in egg mixture into pie crust--or into a ceramic pie plate if not using a crust--spreading evenly. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan over eggs.
- Bake until pie is set, about 20-30 minutes, covering crusts if browning too quickly. Let cool 10 minutes. Slice into wedges and serve.